What are the goals of treatment?
The key goals of treatment should be discussed before it begins.
The healthcare team, (which may include: psychiatrist, psychologist, nurse or social worker), will work with the person with schizophrenia and their family to help keep these goals in sight.
- Remove or reduce the symptoms.
- Prevent relapses occurring.
- Prevent or reduce the need to visit or stay in hospital.
- Avoid or reduce undesirable side-effects that might result from medication.
- Achieve and maintain relief from symptoms so that they no longer have a negative effect on the patient’s life.
- Begin or resume everyday activities such as work, education, independent living, social relationships.